Biotage the Swedish company, which has been manufacturing pre-packed flash chromatography columns since 1994, has a range of columns containing media of a few grams to several kilograms that can be used in normal and reverse phase separations. Due to the rigorous quality assurance system, the columns reliably assist in the routine and unique R&D tasks to separate the components of complex reaction mixtures and other matrices.
The Sfär column family was named after the Swedish word sfär meaning sphere. The columns have silica spheres that are spherical in shape to provide maximum surface area and capacity. The frame of the columns is made of inert, high-purity, food-grade plastic and is CE-marked.
The Sfär columns are equipped with Luer Lock and Luer Slip connectors, therefore, they can be connected not only to Biotage Selekt and Isolera systems but also to other manufacturers’ flash chromatography systems. The most important parameters required for use are shown on each column: max. pressure, recommended flow rate, capacity and CV (column volume). For the use with Biotage Selekt systems, they are provided with a QR code that contains the listed parameters and, after scanning, the chromatograph recommends the separation conditions according to these parameters.
The columns are available in two versions: the “S” (sealed) columns are closed, the sample can only be introduced in dissolved state through the inlet port. These columns can be used up to 100g medium and to 20 bars. In case of larger medium the max. pressure is 12 bars.
Columns “D” (duo) can be opened, the samples can be filled in liquid or solid form onto the medium as well as the Samplet can be placed directly into the column. The D-columns can be used up to 120g medium and to max. 17 bars. In case of larger volumes the max. pressure is 12 bars.
- Sfär Silica S (sealed) normal phase columns with 60 µm particle diameter, 60 Å pore size silica with 5 g, 10 g, 25 g, 50 g, 100 g, 200 g, 350 g medium
- Sfär Silica D (duo) normal phase columns with 60 µm particle diameter, 60 Å pore size silica with 5 g, 10 g, 25 g, 50 g, 100 g, 200 g, 350 g medium
- Sfär HC Silica S (sealed) high capacity normal phase columns with 20 µm particle diameter, 50 Å pore size silica with 5 g, 10 g, 25 g, 50 g, 100 g, 200 g, 350 g medium
- Sfär HC Silica D (duo) high capacity normal phase columns with 20 µm particle diameter, 50 Å pore size silica with 5 g, 10 g, 25 g, 50 g, 100 g, 200 g, 350 g medium
- Sfär KP-Amino D (duo) normal phase columns with 50 µm particle diameter, 60 Å pore size NH2 modified silica with 5 g, 11 g, 28 g, 55 g, 110 g, 220 g, 380 g medium
- Sfär C18 D (duo) reverse phase columns 30 µm particle diameter, C18 Modified Silica with 100 Å pore size with 6 g, 12 g, 30, g, 60 g, 120 g, 240 g, 400 g medium
- Sfär Bio C18 D (duo) reverse phase columns for peptide purification, C18 modified silica with 20 µm particle diameter, 300 Å pore size, 10 g, 25 g, 50 g, 100 g medium
- Sfär Bio C4 D (duo) reverse phase columns for peptide purification, C4 modified silica with 20 µm particle size, 300 Å pore size, 10 g, 25 g, 50 g, 100 g medium
The Biotage Sfär Samplet Cartridges are sample holders equipped with lower and upper frites. Samples can be adsorbed on them, and the Samplets can be easily inserted into the upper part of the Sfär D columns. The Samplets are recommended for columns corresponding to their medium, except for the HMN-R (diatomaceous earth) media, which can be used with any Sfär column. Available Samplet types:
- Silica Samplet
- empty (fillable)
Dry Load Vessel (DLV)
Dry Load Vessel (DLV) is a column with an adjustable piston into which the sample dried onto the adsorbent can be poured. Placing the DLV in front of the separation column, the eluent transfers the sample to the column. Optional DLV columns:
- empty (fillable)
- filled with silica
- filled with HMN-R
SNAP XL columns
Filled columns with male/female luer-lock connectors. The use of high purity materials conforming to USP Class 6 used in production minimizes sample contamination and lot-control provides excellent reproducibility. The fixed, laser-welded column head design provides a uniform liquid distribution, the max. pressure can be 7 bars. The average particle diameter of the silica medium is 50 µm (40-63 µm), the specific surface area is 500 m2/g and the pore size is 60 Å, thus the theoretical plate number is more than 3000 N/m. In the SNAP Ultra columns the average particle diameter of spherical silica is 25 µm, resulting in a high specific surface area (700 m2/g), higher loading capacity, better separation and the pore size is 50 Å, thus the theoretical plate number is more than 7000 N/m.
For sample dry loading, the DLV 500 kit is recommended, which can hold up to 500 g of medium.
Optional SNAP XL columns
- KP-SIL filled columns with 750g and 1500g loading capacity
- C18 filled columns with 950 g and 1850 g loading capacity
- KP-NH filled columns with 900g and 1800g loading capacity
- Ultra C18 columns with 950 g and 1850 g loading capacity
Visit the Flash Purification Blog page for Flash chromatography applications, tips and tricks!